2022 Turnaround: An investment in safety, reliability and the local economy
April 14, 2022
2022 Turnaround officially begins April 18 at the Co-op Refinery Complex (CRC) and is expected to run for 45 days.
Periodically, refineries like CRC need to perform preventive maintenance, renovations and upgrades. During this time, equipment is taken off stream for safety maintenance and upgrades. This time and investment allow us to continue safe and reliable operations.
Investing millions in our future
Each year, our Turnaround is one of the most important annual economic events in our community. Our 2022 Turnaround is an investment of more than $100 million in the safety and reliability of our Refinery. The project will also create 1,200 additional temporary jobs and benefit our local economy. This is something we are very proud of as an organization. We recognize our role as an economic engine for Regina and area, the Province of Saskatchewan, and Western Canada.
Protecting our people and our community
The success of our Turnaround is ultimately tied to our safety performance.
Safety will always be an important part of our operation and how we conduct our business. It is our collective responsibility as workers, support staff and contractors, to keep our site and our community safe. We’re committed to working closely with our people, partners, and local community to ensure that safety remains our top priority.
Putting people to work to keep everything working
We continue to emphasize the importance of planning and executing the project safely, while ensuring work is done to the highest standard. It is a time of heightened awareness and detailed planning. This includes:
- Performing safety critical maintenance and removing/reducing process hazard/risk
- Meeting regulatory (codes and standards) requirements
- Conducting equipment integrity inspections and repairing/replacing malfunctioning equipment
- Completing equipment replacements, upgrades and preventative maintenance programs
- Changing catalyst to maintain operational targets
2022 Turnaround – just the facts
- An investment of more than $100 million.
- There will be an estimated 1,500 employees on site during peak times, including an estimated 1,200 additional skilled trades personnel.
- An estimated 690,000 person hours will be required to complete the project.
- Approximately 30 cranes will be used.
- Work will be performed on hundreds of pieces of equipment.