Director, Technology & Process Innovation
Federated Co-operatives Limited (FCL) is a diverse business operating in the agriculture, food, energy and home and building sectors. Based in Saskatoon, Sask., FCL is owned by independent retail co-operatives from across Western Canada that are committed to local investment, community mindedness and lifetime membership benefits. FCL is involved in wholesaling and manufacturing, including refined fuels and lubricants. It also provides administrative and marketing support to its member-owners. For more information, visit www.fcl.crs.
The Co-operative Retailing System is a network composed of Federated Co-operatives Limited (FCL) and over 180 independent retail co-operatives that help build, feed and fuel individuals and communities in Western Canada. From Vancouver Island to northwestern Ontario and into the Arctic, retail co-ops serve 1.8 million active members and many more customers at 2,500 locations. FCL centrally supplies and supports these retail co-ops. By working together under the CO-OP® brand, we are all committed to local investment, community mindedness and lifetime membership benefits. For more information, visit www.coopconnection.ca.
FCL invites applications for the position of Director, Technology & Process Innovation in our home office located in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
The Director, Technology & Process Innovation will provide leadership for development of new technology for Operational Support. Responsible for providing research and development that has a significant impact on organizational priorities. Lead programs that identify and achieve industry best practices and standards. Lead the continuous improvement of Operational Support and provides broad organizational direction. This includes technology ideation and commercialization as well as expertise in building technology, information and communication technology and business management systems.
Reporting to the VP Operational Support, responsibilities for this position include the following:
- Lead strategic initiatives in research and development of programs to implement new technologies to increase operational efficiencies. In consultation with the AVP Logistics, develop and set the direction and vision for distribution center designs and automation solutions to increase efficiencies and reduce manual tasks. Provide leadership and oversee new and existing distribution centre material handling, software, automation, and storage solutions. Manage distribution centre roadmap associated with technologies and prioritizes technology enhancement.
- Research and determine feasibility of new technologies that support the business development plan and result in positive economic impact on the business. Comprehensive analysis of the market and industry is required to develop and create a value proposition as well as to identify potentially impact. In consultation with other Business Units, provide direction and guidance to support the vision, prioritization, development and implementation of business management systems and communications technologies that will support changes required to ensure growth, efficiency and sustainability.
- Understand and anticipate best practice and provide leadership on industry standards for use of technology within FCL Business Units. Develop processes, procedures and audit tools to utilize when benchmarking against industry competitors. Identify gaps and set the direction on the development and implementation of new disruptive technologies. Lead the continuous improvement of processes to meet and exceed industry standards as well as to positively impact the organizations bottom line.
- Collaborate with Operational Support and other Business Units to improve and implement new initiatives that result in operational efficiencies that support long-term sustainable growth. Collaborate with the Technology business unit throughout on technology implementation. Identify key stakeholders and initiate a project management framework for the projects.
- Provide leadership and oversight in developing and presenting business cases related to allocation of capital funding to improve operational performance. Present factual findings on how disruptive technology will decrease cost and reduce manual errors by prioritizing safety.
- Provide leadership to reporting team members to implement new technical initiatives and improve processes. Inspire and translate department’s vision in how FCL can enhance our systems and processes to increase our customer services to FCL and the CRS.
- Approve goals of Team Leaders while ensuring alignment to departmental objectives and assesses their performance. Foster employee engagement within the Department by creating an environment that encourages employees to be highly engaged.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will have a Degree in Engineering and 10+ years related experience in implementing business technology across a wide range of business functions. Has deepened subject matter expertise while having the ability to provide leadership to a diverse team. P. Eng. designation and Master of Science in engineering is preferred.
A combination of relevant education and experience may be considered.
FCL offers a competitive salary, ongoing personal and professional development, and the opportunity to work with one of western Canada's most successful organizations.
You may be required to undergo a background and substance test in accordance with FCL policies.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Jan 21 2019Apply