Working with FCL
Federated Co-operatives Limited is committed to procuring – or helping co-ordinate the procurement of – high-quality products at competitive prices for our independent, retail co-operative members, who in turn offer these products to their customers.
We have a long tradition of sourcing local products and supporting local business. We are also committed to reviewing procurement practices, collaborating with suppliers to understand their environmental and social performance and identify future supply chain opportunities across all business lines.
Case Study | Prairie Fresh Food Corporation
Known as Canada’s breadbasket, Saskatchewan is known for its rich agricultural soil, which is used to grow cash crops like wheat, barley, canola and pulses. However, 16 producers saw an opportunity to increase vegetable production and came together to form the Prairie Fresh Food Corporation. In 2013, FCL broke new ground by partnering with these growers to supply 340,000 kilograms (750,000 pounds) to 114 Co-op Food Stores in the province, increasing the amount of fresh, local produce available to customers.
- Guidance on bringing food products to market, including food safety assurance, liability insurance, Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) certification and more.
- Assistance in logistics; FCL offers four distribution centres across Western Canada to move product to stores.
- Opportunities for business to consumer (B2C) marketing through in-store promotion, point of sale materials as well as print and digital assets.
- Coordinated production zones for products, planting dates and harvest dates, to ensure sufficient quantities were available throughout the season.
- Increased visibility and demand for locally grown vegetables, accessing a larger audience through retail stores; FCL’s order increased nearly 200 per cent in two years.
- FCL created the Sell to Us Guide as a resource to help growers and food manufacturers navigate the processes and procedures to get to market.
For more information on working with FCL, please contact email@example.com.