Senior Accountant – Statements (temporary up to 15 months)
Federated Co-operatives Limited (FCL) is a diverse business operating in the agriculture, food, energy and home and building sectors. Based in Saskatoon, Sask., FCL is owned by independent retail co-operatives from across Western Canada that are committed to local investment, community mindedness and lifetime membership benefits. FCL is involved in wholesaling and manufacturing, including refined fuels and lubricants. It also provides administrative and marketing support to its member-owners. For more information, visit www.fcl.crs.
The Co-operative Retailing System is a network composed of Federated Co-operatives Limited (FCL) and over 180 independent retail co-operatives that help build, feed and fuel individuals and communities in Western Canada. From Vancouver Island to northwestern Ontario and into the Arctic, retail co-ops serve 1.8 million active members and many more customers at 2,500 locations. FCL centrally supplies and supports these retail co-ops. By working together under the CO-OP® brand, we are all committed to local investment, community mindedness and lifetime membership benefits. For more information, visit www.coopconnection.ca.
FCL invites applications for the position of Senior Accountant – Statements (temporary up to 15 months) in our home office located in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
Perform full accounting cycle which includes the preparation of period financial statements and provide accounting support to assigned retails. Complete year-end financial statements, year-end working papers, and corporate tax returns for designated retails.
Reporting to the Retail Accounting Supervisor, responsibilities for this position include the following:
- Prepare and analyse period financial statements, follow up on irregularities, prepare required adjusting entries and cash flow statements for assigned retails. Maintain appropriate supporting schedules, including but not limited to fixed asset subledgers and prepaid schedules. Assist with budget preparation.
- Complete year-end working papers and financial statements, review member purchase data, and complete corporate tax returns for assigned retails.
- Prepare adjustments to year end working papers and year-end financial statements for retail allocation to shares and reserves and corporate tax as necessary.
- Maintain controls relating to corporate tax including logging of refunds claimed and received; payment of final balances and instalment and follow up with CRA as necessary.
- Familiarity with ASPE and ability to identify and analyse one-off transactions.
- Review error reports from online financial statement runs and follow up as necessary.
- Submit required jobs to transfer budgets for assigned retails. Assist in following up and correcting discrepancies in retail budgets.
- Review minutes and related correspondence of Retail Board of Directors’ meetings and take required action.
- Complete and file GST returns for assigned retails.
- Provide accounting support to assigned retails.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree in Commerce or Business Administration with a major in accounting. No work experience required. Or a Two year Business diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution with a major in Accounting (or equivalent area of study). 2 years of financial statement preparation experience.
FCL offers a competitive salary, ongoing personal and professional development, and the opportunity to work with one of western Canada's most successful organizations.
You may be required to undergo a background and substance test in accordance with FCL policies.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apr 25 2019Apply