Federated Co-operatives Limited (FCL) is a diverse business operating in the agriculture, food, energy and home and building sectors. Based in Saskatoon, Sask., FCL is owned by independent retail co-operatives from across Western Canada that are committed to local investment, community mindedness and lifetime membership benefits. FCL is involved in wholesaling and manufacturing, including refined fuels and lubricants. It also provides administrative and marketing support to its member-owners. For more information, visit www.fcl.crs.
The Co-operative Retailing System is a network composed of Federated Co-operatives Limited (FCL) and over 180 independent retail co-operatives that help build, feed and fuel individuals and communities in Western Canada. From Vancouver Island to northwestern Ontario and into the Arctic, retail co-ops serve 1.8 million active members and many more customers at 2,500 locations. FCL centrally supplies and supports these retail co-ops. By working together under the CO-OP® brand, we are all committed to local investment, community mindedness and lifetime membership benefits. For more information, visit www.coopconnection.ca.
FCL invites applications for the position of Design Manager in the Facilities Design and Development (FDD) department at the Home Office in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
Provide expertise and lead the research, development, implementation, and continuous improvement for Food Stores, Liquor Stores, Hybrids, and Retail Administration Building facility design services, including operational integrity, site specific layouts, equipment specifications, with additional architectural services regarding building design. Work closely with other disciplines and department members regarding architecture and facilities design. Key customers include Home Office commodity groups, regional commodity groups, retail Co-ops, external suppliers and consultants. Annual approximate travel time; 10%.
Reporting to the Program Manager – Ag and Consumer Projects, responsibilities for this position include the following:
- Research and develop the Co-operative Retailing System’s design guidelines in regards to interior and exterior architectural design, space planning, finish details, merchandising equipment and smallwares (within FDD’s responsibility, coordination in standards of others) and décor for Food Stores, Liquor Stores, Hybrids and Administration Buildings. Collaborate with Strategic Business Units, Insights & Analytics, Marketing & Communications, suppliers, architects, and design consultants to pro-actively and systematically develop design guidelines considering customer experience, branding, operational efficiency and regulatory requirements. Work with reporting manager to integrate architectural and finish design guides with material suitability, lifecycle costs, safety, constructability, and ultimately CRS return on investment. Make certain the appropriate level of documentation is developed and maintained to institutionalize new and existing designs and ensure the effective transfer of design guide information across the department and other stakeholders. Make certain the appropriate level of documentation is developed and maintained to institutionalize new and existing designs and ensure the effective transfer of design standard information across the department and other stakeholders.
- Ensure design guides are clear, well understood and efficiently executable by the project management teams. Assist with the supplier relationship for the products, material and equipment utilized in the CRS design guides, adhering to procurement policies as developed. Collaborate with Technical Services Electrical and Mechanical to ensure all aspects of the design are coordinated with one another. Collaborate with the Project Managers, client and consultant design team to address unforeseen issues and develop a problem solving strategies that may address issues of form, function, budget, and construction timelines. Ensure the various construction checklists (i.e. drawing review, commissioning, QA/QC, etc.) are communicated to the Project teams.
- Train, and manage the performance and development of direct report(s). Develop the Design Coordinator(s) to work collaboratively and independently with the project management teams. Using design guide and design intent documentation and tools, provide in depth training to the Design Coordinator, AutoCAD Technologists, and project management teams with the goal of equipping them to execute CRS design guidelines independently.
- Provide site specific recommendations to project teams in selection of interior and exterior architectural finishes for example cabinet design, paint colour, flooring, furniture layout, etc.
- Apply AutoCAD and specialty design software 3D models or renderings of buildings, spaces within buildings or concepts within the space to demonstrate options developed by the Engineering Team. Produce “color boards” to demonstrate the materials (i.e. flooring, fabrics, ceramics, etc.), colors, and textures utilizing interior design knowledge and skills to present interior and exterior space schemes, colour and finish.
- Review (and/or oversee the review by the Design Coordinator) of designs created by the project management teams to verify accuracy of drawing packages, ensure they meet CRS design guidelines and intent, and the business objectives of the construction project. Act as a resource for all stakeholders (Facilities Design and Development team members, suppliers, consultants, regions, retails, developers, contractors, regulatory authorities etc.) to provide timely advice and input to resolve design issues before and during construction.
- Develop, monitor and report on Key Performance Indicators to measure the effectiveness of design guides and integrate results into a systematic continuous improvement process. Collaborate with the Portfolio Manager to institutionalize changes to design guides into construction project processes, tools and templates. Seek new opportunities to research of existing and potential new technologies for the performance improvement and development functions and deliverables within the work unit.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will have a Two year Architectural Technology or Interior Design or Engineering Design and Drafting Technology Diploma with 10+ years of relevant progressively responsible commercial construction and/or project management experience out of which 5 years include the design of facilities. Or, Engineering or Architecture Degree. Preference given to candidates with Architecture and/or Masters in Architecture degrees with 8+ years of relevant progressively responsible commercial construction and/or project management experience out of which 5 years include the design of facilities. Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office and AutoCAD. Project Management Certification would be an asset. Experience in 3D Facility Design modelling software would be an asset.
FCL offers a competitive salary, ongoing personal and professional development, and the opportunity to work with one of western Canada's most successful organizations.
You may be required to undergo a background and substance test in accordance with FCL policies.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Jun 25 2019Apply