Agro Safety & Compliance Advisor
Federated Co-operatives Limited (FCL) is a diverse business operating in the agriculture, food, energy and home and building sectors. Based in Saskatoon, Sask., FCL is owned by independent retail co-operatives from across Western Canada that are committed to local investment, community mindedness and lifetime membership benefits. FCL is involved in wholesaling and manufacturing, including refined fuels and lubricants. It also provides administrative and marketing support to its member-owners. For more information, visit www.fcl.crs.
The Co-operative Retailing System is a network composed of Federated Co-operatives Limited (FCL) and over 200 independent retail co-operatives that help build, feed and fuel individuals and communities in Western Canada. From Vancouver Island to northwestern Ontario and into the Arctic, retail co-ops serve 1.8 million active members and many more customers at 2,500 locations. FCL centrally supplies and supports these retail co-ops. By working together under the CO-OP® brand, we are all committed to local investment, community mindedness and lifetime membership benefits. For more information, visit www.coopconnection.ca.
FCL invites applications for the position of Agro Safety & Compliance Advisor in our Home Office located in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
The Agro Safety & Compliance Advisor is responsible for coaching, advising and providing assistance to Terminal management and retail Agro Center management and staff. This support is required for regulatory, safety, operations and compliance of anhydrous ammonia, granular and liquid fertilizers along with crop-protection chemicals. The main role will be to develop and communicate programs and procedures to Agro retail operations and FCL terminals, focusing on best practices in the safe handling and delivery of these products. This position will work with the various agro sites to build a competent train the trainer network program and act as a technical advisor and main trainer for the Co-operative Retailing System.
Reporting to the Agro Regulatory & Safety Manager, responsibilities for this position include the following:
- Ensure all regulations and required best practices for Agro facilities are communicated to retail staff by providing support and advice to implement and execute compliance.
- Work with and support managers and staff at agro facilities on safe operations and best practices. Work with NH3 sites to build competent train the trainer network program. Create agro regulatory and safety programs and on-line training programs as well as a hands-on training program for retail trainers. Advise and Support and provide training to retails in certain operational and safety item programs related to Agriculture Warehousing Standards Association (ASWA) and Ammonia Code requirements for all lines of crop supplies. With support from the Agro Regulatory and Safety Manager, develop and deliver training programs to retails and to fertilizer facilities.
- Ensure that best practices for handling and transferring anhydrous ammonia are communicated and delivered to the retails and their customers. Develop and provide all retails with annual regulatory required facility emergency practices.
- Perform training and auditing function as requested for Fertilizer Terminals and for Retails.
- Act as a technical advisor and trainer of the FCL and Retail Emergency Response Assistance (ERAP) when retails require training or have incidents such as chemical spills. Assist the Agro Regulatory and Safety Manager train tier 1 and tier 2 emergency response techniques for local emergencies that occur at the retail level.
- Provide expertise in conjunction with the Agro Regulatory and Safety Manager to develop, support and implement crop supply programs at the retail level
- Act as a resource for recommendations purchasing and asset utilization of NH3 equipment and other assets owned by the retails.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will hold a University Degree along with 5-7 years of experience in technical safety or compliance pertaining to agriculture. A strong understanding or experience in fertilizer and crop supply products including anhydrous ammonia product is required. Agriculture retail experience and a valid CRSP is considered an asset.
A combination of relevant education and experience may be considered.
FCL offers a competitive salary, ongoing personal and professional development, and the opportunity to work with one of western Canada's most successful organizations.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Feb 26 2018Apply